soSIMPLE Calendar now supports FileMaker 17’s Data API
** Important notes: If you are using the Data API in FileMaker 16, you should be aware that the Data API in FileMaker Server 16 will stop working on Sept 27, 2018. This version of soSIMPLE no longer supports the Data API in FileMaker 16 **
The Data API is a new way of connecting to FileMaker Server. In most cases, it is faster, more scaleable, and more manageable than using just PHP. We have found it to be useful for larger installations of soSIMPLE Calendar with a lot of activity updating and refreshing the calendar.
At soSIMPLE, we leave the control up to you – only use the Data API to speed up connections where it’s useful. We combine the Data API with the traditional PHP API processing to keep your calendar humming.
(This update is brought to you by our FREE fmREST.php class file for PHP developers)
Option 1: Continue using PHP:
If you choose to continue using PHP, don’t change anything. The default installation just uses PHP as it always has. And your calendar will continue to operate smoothly.
- If you are upgrading or installing FileMaker Server 17, you must now install PHP using a command line tool.
- We have also heard of FileMaker Pro Advanced 17 users being hit with the multiple copies of FileMaker opening when they interact with their calendar. You may need to fix your default “fmp” application.
Option 2: Combine with the Data API
To give the Data API a test:
- Turn on your Data API in your FileMaker Server 17 Admin Console.
- Make sure your custom FileMaker app has the “FMREST” extended privilege set for the user you’ve set up in soSIMPLE Calendar Settings (our sample file is enabled by default).
- Go to your installed “sosimple” PHP folder and open the “config.php” file. Change the one line that says $method from $method=”PHP” to
* Make sure your quotes don’t go curly – that will break everything *.
Once you enable this line, your page will start using the Data API where ever it can. Specifically:
- Your initial calendar will always be drawn using PHP
- If you’re using an Advanced Server-Side script, you’ll continue using PHP
- Otherwise, all updates will made using the Data API
* Keep in mind, regular toll charges apply *. FileMaker Server 17 allots a certain amount of data transfer based on your FileMaker license. Keep an eye on how much you’re using in the Admin Console.
What else is new?
We’ve been adding a lot of features over the last few months, and have more up our sleeve.
For this maintenance release, the only other significant change is the update of MBS plugin to 8.0. Remember – the plugin is completely optional for your clients. We just provide it as a convenience.
That, and a couple of bug fixes. See details in our change log.